Saturday, August 05, 2006

beat the heat

Wow, this (2006) is definitely the hottest summer I have ever experienced. So many consecutive days for 90+ temperatures (30+ celsius) are just draining. I remember when I was growing up in Calgary and Vancouver, that I didn't even know what humidity was until I was a teenager, because there was only a dry heat in those cities and usually the temperature didn't reach 30 celsius more than a couple of days per summer (if that).

Well here I am, sweating, trying to save a little money on my air conditioning bills because of the constantly rising energy prices. I think I really understand what people mean when they say the 'dog days of August'. I'll bet there are plenty of believers in global warming these days, considering Al Gore's latest movie, and this summer heat in the USA.

But how can we beat this energy crisis as our fossil fuels gradually dwindle away and get more expensive? I'm still waiting for cold fusion. Does anyone out there know what a tokamak is? I remember dreaming about scientific discoveries like discovering the cure for cancer or cold fusion when I was growing up. Sadly, I gave up those ambitious dreams a long time ago. It's up to the next generation now. Good luck, Ian :)

No comments: