Sunday, May 13, 2007

the prestige

I was thinking about this film which I saw recently on DVD. Awesome movie, and I've decided that it's a 4 star movie, and in the top 2 or 3 of 2006. It's definitely something which I think is worth watching twice, so if you haven't seen it yet, check it out, and don't read any further because there are spoilers!!

OK, if you're still reading, you've already seen the movie. It's a terrific entertainment with strong acting and dialogue, and the picture looks great. Thematically, I think it is very interesting, raising questions about cloning, obsession, the soul, revenge, etc. The character of Angier ended up being rather monstrous in the end. The analogy of the bird trick where the bird croaked every time the trick was done. The lengths to which the rival magicians went to outdo each other was astonishing for any normal person. Angier was willing to sacrifice everything including his own life to fulfill his magic trick and become the 'prestige'. BTW, some people didn't like the Tesla device, but I had no problem with it. It's a little bit strange for the context of the time for this movie, but I like outlandish stuff like that.

No comments: