Monday, October 02, 2006

Puzzles

Does anybody else like to do puzzles? I used to love trying to do them when I was younger. I'm not talking about jigsaw puzzles (although I did a few of those too), but instead, I mean problem solving or mathematical puzzles or word puzzles. Lots of possibilities exist of course. Here are a few (no fair looking things up or using a calculator or dictionary or online source; just your head and a pencil and paper if necessary).

1. what (relatively) common English word has the letters U F A in it consecutively?

2. draw a capital letter 'M' on a page; now draw 4 straight lines through the M; what is the maximum number of non-overlapping triangles you can create this way?

3. 4 words in my vocabulary end with -dous . I'll give you 1 of them: tremendous. What are the others??

5 comments:

shellz said...

Frank, are you trying to explode my brain?? I can't even figure out how to do a basic Sudoku puzzle!!! Sigh.

fs said...

I did a few Sudokus and they were kind of fun, but after a while, I thought they were more time consuming and all about trial and error and practice rather than brains. Correct me if I'm wrong... Hey those word puzzles shouldn't be too stressful; either you can think of the words, or you can't. No biggie :)

Ianmom said...

honey, let's do some more puzzles like our old days!! It was so much FUN!!! I'd like to try more word puzzles..

Chase Cooper said...

I love puzzles, too, so I'm actually going to answer. No dictionaries or calculators. :)

1. I first thought bouffant, but it has the double-f.

2. I'm guessing 3? Because any more than that and they would overlap some. If they can overlap a little, my guess is 12.

3. Words that end in -dous. Tremendous, stupendous, horrendous, hazardous... I'm sure there are more.

fs said...

Chase cooper got number 3 correct. There may well be more, but those 4 are words that most people know I think.

For the 'M' puzzle, the triangles cannot overlap, but the lines can overlap. The answer is at least 10, but I think you can get more. A pentagram or star of david may be helpful.